Cross from Gimnazjum im Jana Pawla II w Wilnie
The inscription on this wooden cross on the hills of crosses, Cross Gimnazjum im Jana Pawla II w Wilnie, leaves behind the identity of the owner of this cross who seem to have come from School Podstawowai Gymnasium, Pope John Paul II in Vilniuss.
Vilnius is Lithuania’s capital which reveals that the hills of crosses have not only become popular among pilgrims from other countries but even among the locals as well. This city was declared in 1994 as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO because of the beauty of its old architecture.
Thousands of crosses can be found at the hills of crosses but no one knows for sure where this practice originated. However, many believe that it was after the uprising in 1831 when the first crosses were left on the hill.