- Category: Uncategorised
- Published: Sunday, 16 September 2012 19:44
St. Peter and Paul Cathedral
Siauliai St. Peter and Paul Cathedral – is the Renaissance Mannerism architecture work in Lithuania. 70-meter tower is visible from a distance towards the Siauliai from either side. Somebody say’s that the current stone church was built in 1595 – 1625. Before that there was a small, probably, a wooden church, built in 1445. 1643 the church tower had four bells.
Circumvented the circle around the cathedral, you'll see one of the oldest solar clock in Lithuania.
Aušros takas str. 3, Šiauliai.
St. George Church
Church with two towers was built in 1909. Russian authorities built a large brick Orthodox church for Siauliai military personnel. Church wasn‘t used after the end of World War I and after the Russian army's withdrawal from Lithuania. Pastor Justinas Lapė had invoked St. Georges church for Catholics. In 1919 Church was consecrated. In 1923 was finally completed. In 1976 part of the church has burned, but the altars and the great tower was damaged not very strong.
Kražių str. 17, Šiauliai.
St. Loyola Ignatius Church
In 1936 by the care of priest Benediktas Andriuška was built a stone oratory. There were working two brothers Jesuits and one priest. In 1948 after Antanas Šeškevičius was exiled, the church became as a warehouse, later as a sports hall. In 1990 Church returned to the faithful. 1993 there was a visit of Pope John Paul II.
Vilniaus str. 247 b., Šiauliai.
Sun clock often called “Golden boy” is a symbol of Siauliai history. This symbol reminds us about Sun War that took place in Siauliai area. Also it is a symbol of Siauliai city name, that was first time mentioned in 1236. Golden boy is the tallest sun clock in Lithuania.
- Category: Uncategorised
- Published: Sunday, 16 September 2012 19:41
The monument of Lithuania
The Hill of Crosses is an historical and architectural monument, a unique composition of folk art. It attracts people with its peace, spirituality, authenticity, and sacred nature. The oblong mound, somewhat similar to a saddle, stands on a plain and is surrounded by the valleys of Kulpė Stream and its nameless tributaries. The hill itself is the Jurgaičiai-Domantai mound, which sits next to a former ancient village that was here in the 13th-14th centuries. It became a sacred site in the 19th century.
Crosses on the hill
It is said that the first crosses were erected here by the next-of-kin of the rebels that fell in the 1831 rebellion. Those family members were not permitted by the Tsarist reign to pay proper tribute at the graves of their relatives. Even more crosses appeared after the rebellion in 1863. At that time, the traditions of visiting and erecting crosses on the hill were being formed. The Hill of Crosses became a place of vows. According to another version, many crosses appeared after the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus appeared on the mound in the 7th decade of the 19th century; it was she who supposedly encouraged people to put crosses at this place. In 1850, there were 17 crosses, from 1895 to 1898 the number increased to 180, and in 1938 there were over 400 crosses. The number of crosses also grew during the period of Soviet occupation; in 1960, there were 2,500 large crosses alone.
In the beginning of the 20th century, the hill was already quite well known. It was being visited by a lot of people, and services and feasts were taking place here. The Soviet government was not happy about the hill and its crosses. Thus, the "demolition" period, which lasted for almost 20 years, started. In 1958, the collective farm Meškuičiai began digging gravel on the Hill of Crosses. In 1961, the hill was surrounded by bulldozers. Wooden crosses were damaged or burnt, metal crosses were taken to the scrap dump, and stone and concrete crosses were smashed, buried or thrown into Kulpė Stream. Every year the authorities destroyed 500 crosses under the excuse that they were only taking away the crosses "of no artistic value". Later, they announced a swine-fever and rabies "epidemic", it was forbidden to enter the territory. The road to the hill was even guarded by police. At the end of the 1980s, it was chosen to weir Kulpė, which had already been turned into an effluent pitch of sewerage, and to flood the hill. However, new crosses kept appearing every night, and with every demolition (there were four of them), the Hill of Crosses continued to spring back to life.
- Category: Uncategorised
- Published: Sunday, 16 September 2012 19:40
Tourism information centre of Šiauliai district at the Hill of Crosses
Visit Hill of crosses for free. There are no any tickets for entrance to hill of crosses. You will need to pay only for your car parking close to the hill.
For one car it costs about 1 Euro
For bus parking it costs about 7 Euros
Find more information at tourism information center:
Jurgaičiai Village, Meškuičiai Rural Municipality,
LT-81439 Šiauliai Region
Coordinates: 56°0'54"N 23°24'56"E
Monday- Friday - 9.00-18.00 h
Saturday-Sunday - 10.00-17.00 h